Position Title: Medical Biller / Front Desk Associate
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
The Rhode Island Public Health Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to promote community health and eliminate health disparities in Rhode Island and beyond. RIPHI oversees public health programs, conducts translational and policy research, and trains students and public health practitioners. Our rapid and currently growing portfolio includes programs related to food insecurity, nutrition and active living, hepatitis C virus (HCV), HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to reduce HIV transmission, geographically-focused health interventions, and other efforts to reduce health disparities. To learn more about RIPHI, visit https://www.riphi.org.
Open Door Health is an initiative of RIPHI. Open Door Health is dedicated to providing high-quality, patient-centered primary and sexual health care to all Rhode Islanders, with a focus on the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities and communities of color. To learn more about Open Door Health, visit https://www.opendoorhealth.org.
The Rhode Island Public Health Institute seeks a Medical Biller / Front Desk Associate for Open Door Health, our community-based clinic in Providence, Rhode Island. The clinic focuses specifically on sexual health and primary care for members of the LGBTQ community. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in medical billing, with the skills necessary to improve our current billing procedures and reduce A/R days. The successful candidate will work on a number of tasks requiring data analysis, in-depth evaluation of medical claims and exercise of judgement with the appropriate scope of practice. The Medical Biller / Front Desk Associate will report to the Chief Financial Officer with additional oversight provided by the Medical Director.
We offer excellent benefits, generous paid time off and competitive compensation.
- Greet and direct patients presenting to the clinic
- Register patients in the electronic medical record system (EMR)
- Gather patient insurance and financial information for third party insurers
- Conduct financial assessments for uninsured / under insured patients per clinic policies
- Obtain and update medical authorizations for payment from insurers
- Perform posting charges and completion of claims to payers in a timely fashion
- Submit claims to insurance providers through AthenaHealth
- Work claims and claim denials to ensure maximum reimbursement for services provided
· Collect and record co-payments
- Work in a respectful and friendly manner with patients to resolve medical claims and copayment issues
- Establish payment arrangements on current and delinquent patient accounts
- Apply for patient assistance programs as needed
- Update Medicare and Medicaid cost and bad-debt reports and other related information
- Protect and keep all patient and clinic information confidential
- Follow all HIPAA, JCAHO, state, and federal laws and standards
- Actively explore educational opportunities to improve job knowledge and skills
- Assist with other clinical and related public health activities identified by the medical and executive directors
- High school diploma required; Certified Medical Biller preferred
- 4+ years’ professional experience in a clinic or community health setting
- Proficiency with electronic medical records; Experience with Athena highly desirable
- Strong knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Ability to work as independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Fluent in the provision of culturally congruent services
- Bi-lingual/bi-cultural Spanish or/and Portuguese is strongly preferred
- Experience providing culturally congruent and affirming care to sexual and gender minorities and racial and ethnic minorities is highly desirable
Open Door Health is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diverse candidates to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, expression or preference, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, socio-economic status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send a CV and letter of interest with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org