Position Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: Project Director
The Rhode Island Public Health Institute (RIPHI) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to promote community health and eliminate health disparities in Rhode Island and beyond. RIPHI oversees public health programs, conducts translational and policy research, and trains students and public health practitioners. Our rapid and currently growing portfolio includes programs related to food insecurity, nutrition and active living, hepatitis C virus (HCV), HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to reduce HIV transmission, geographically focused health interventions, and other efforts to reduce health disparities. To learn more about RIPHI, visit www.riphi.org.
Open Door Health is an initiative of RIPHI. Open Door Health is dedicated to providing high-quality, patient-centered primary and sexual health care to all Rhode Islanders, with a focus on the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities, and communities of color.
Under general supervision of the Project Director, the Research Assistant will support Open Door Health’s research and data infrastructures across programs. The Research Assistant will primarily work on research studies related to LGBTQ+ health disparities, mental health, and interventions aimed at increasing access to health services, but may also assist with other projects at Open Door Health related to clinical flow and grant reporting.
Assist with program evaluation and research:
- Conduct retrospective chart reviews
- Recruit participants for research studies via both passive and active recruitment methods
- Abide by all confidentiality and HIPAA-related principles to enroll participants into the study and collect their personal information
- Administer semi-structured surveys related to physical and mental health
- Comprehensively conduct informed consent processes with research participants and explain the research processes
- Develop and program surveys using Qualtrics and/or REDCap
- Perform data cleaning and management in order to ensure continuous quality improvement
- Work with participants to optimize study retention rates
- Track participants progression throughout the study timeline and conduct follow-up visits as necessary
- Contribute to data reporting structures, dashboards, and summaries
- Meet with the research staff on a regular basis
Provide general administrative and programmatic support:
- Contribute to grant applications and reports
- Detailed note taking at external and internal meetings
- Develop participant recruitment documents
- Coordinate meeting invitations, calendar management, and travel logistics
- Streamline and support institutional processes
- Provide on-site support of direct service programming
- Draft communications including data briefs, informational brochures, presentations and other external facing documents
Assist with other duties and responsibilities across programs and research efforts as assigned by the Project Director
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, social sciences, or other biomedical field, master’s degree preferred
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized
- Passion for community-based research and reducing health disparities is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT) and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience working with REDCap preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Experience and comfort in issues related to substance use, harm reduction, homelessness, chronic and/or infectious disease, mental health, and/or bilingual/bicultural and LGBTQ+ communities
- Hybrid model: Remote work with occasional on-site work as required
The Rhode Island Public Health Institute embraces skilled, innovative personnel who are committed to working in and living out RIPHI’s values and mission. Personal, professional, and other lived experiences are invaluable resources that root RIPHI in the communities we serve. It is RIPHI’s mission to provide an affirming environment in which to empower staff from all cultures, backgrounds, and identities so we may provide the highest quality services possible.
Rhode Island Public Health Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diverse candidates to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity, expression or preference, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, socio-economic status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested parties should send a resume and cover letter explaining qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.